Young Carers are children and young people under 18 years of age who take on the caring responsibility for a parent, sibling or relative who has a physical or learning disability, long-term illness, mental ill health, drug or alcohol dependency and domestic violence. We organise a range of activities and support for these very special people.
The Young Carers Project aims to:
- Identify and assess the needs of young carers and their family
- Provide suitable support to allow young carers to enjoy ‘normal’ social and educational activities
- Raise awareness of the needs of young carers within the statutory agencies, voluntary organisations and the wider community
- Promote the inclusion of young carers in the local community
“Because of my health problems, our boys had to witness many ups and downs which they sometimes didn’t know how to cope with. The young carers club is helping our boys so much.”
The services we offer include:
- Practical support for young carers and their family
- Weekend & Holiday Activities
- Small Group Activities
- One-to-One Support
Due to the current pandemic we may be only able to provide one-to-one support for the foreseeable future.
If you know someone who may benefit from our services, fill in our client referral form.
For additional support you can visit www.youngcarers.net. This is an online service for Young Carers from The Princess Royal Trust for Carers. In addition to more information, Young Carers can join a supportive online community with discussion boards and a chat room led by online youth workers